Since I’m running behind the schedule here with what I wanted to have by now, I thought, I share… this schedule. What I have in my pipeline while creating MCET-SEC – modern cost-efficient toolchain for a small but savvy software engineering company.
1. Modern repository (system that not only holds the source code but enables collaboration – pull-requests, commenting and so on).
2. Test Management Software.
-> Done and working fine with TestLink.
3. Build server.
-> Done with Jenkins.
4. Continuous deployment/delivery.
5. Static code analysis with central reporting.
6. Test automation.
7. Ticketing/issue tracking/time tracking.
8. Knowledge database / Wiki.
9. Communication/collaboration software..
The points from 4 to 10 are not given in any particular order. I will tackle them one by one in one way or another.
This is the list I’ve used to plan my doings in MCET-SEC. But matter-of-factly this list is not only my schedule. It is in fact a list of essential software engineering tools in a modern small but savvy software engineering company! What I mean here is not the things you most certainly need as a good software developer: IDE, command line literacy, good programming language expertise, thorough understanding of computers and networks. I mean everything that is need in an software engineering organization.
In fact I think I will write something entitled “10 absolutely essential software engineering tools”. Stay tuned!